Having a rich history, centuries-old traditions and picturesque landscapes, Izhevsk as the capital of the Udmurt Republic is given the opportunity to develop different forms of tourism: business, event, cultural and educational, religious, recreational, sporting, health-related and so on.

By the Federal target programme “Preserving and developing architecture of historical cities (years 2002-2010)” the city of Izhevsk was included in the list of historical cities of regional significance that confirms the presence of monuments of architecture and history in the city. 

1

Water tower, 1915.

The water tower is the oldest hydrotechnical construction in the city of Izhevsk. Built in the brick neo-Gothic style in 1915, it represents a monument of industrial architecture.

Being listed in the Register of historical and architectural monuments as a historical and cultural heritage site of the Udmurt Republic, the tower for more than 40 years with the permission of the authorities had been used for climbers’ athletic trainings.

In 2011 it was signed off to the Search and Rescue team of Izhevsk. In the future it is planned to make its reconstruction and place a modern climbing wall inside the building.

2

The Chapel of the Exaltation of the Cross – 1879. The author is unknown.

It was built in the place where, according to a legend, a "large gilded silver sanctuary cross", was buried in the woods in 1774, before E. Pugachev entered Izhevsk factory.

In the XIX century the chapel was located outside the city limits in the "Solovyevskie fields" (in the name of the owner of the mowing). At present, it is in the central area, in the heart of the modern city near the Arsenal.

3

Brewery and Mead-Making Plant, 1882 – 1889. The author is unknown.

The only example of industrial buildings of this type in Izhevsk, erected in a modern style. Preserves the historically formed city image.

The brewery and mead-making plant was founded in 1872 by the merchant I.I. Bodalev from Sarapul.

In the beginning of the XX century the building occupied 858 square sazhen (measure of length = 2.134 metres). It was one of the biggest private enterprises in Izhevsk as well as the most profitable one. During the Soviet period the plant had been working for a long time.

In the 1970s the building was adapted for a vocational school; it housed classrooms, workshops, an assembly hall, and maintenance buildings.

The brewery is located at the lower bench of the highland of Izhevsk pond.

4

Historical and revolutionary monument a civil building, 1854 – 1857. The architect I.T. Kokovikhin.

The stone building of the director of the Gun-making and Iron-making plants was built at the place of a decrepit wooden «commander’s house» (that was his name in the ХIХth century). A spacious garden adjoined the house that is now is included in the Park named after M. Gorky.

In 1919 the Revolutionary Committee was located here.

In 1920 г. the house of plants director hosted the communists’ club. The first city party conferences and festive meetings took part here. 

5

House of the Kokovikhins, 1857. The architect I.T. Kokovikhin.

The plant architect Ivan Kokovikhin designed not only the General’s House and other buildings of the old Izhevsk, but also used his talent to build his own family house.

Before 1895 a Zemstvo hospital (After serfdom had been abolished in 1861, medical care in many rural regions was provided by zemstva (local elected councils) was located here, afterwards, during 6 years, the house had been hosting a military barrack, in 1902 году a two grades male college of the Ministry of Public Education was opened there.However, it was still called the House of the Kokovikhins. The building is mentioned in the documents of the year 1874.

6

Girls’ gymnasium. "Gray Building", 1910

The first secondary female educational institution appeared in Izhevsk on November 11, 1907. Opened due to private donations, it was first located in a small, not existing now stone house which was donated for this purpose by the merchants Bodalevy.

Izhevsk workers donated 1 kopeck from every earned rouble for the construction of the female gymnasium so actively that already by 1908-1909 it turned out to be possible to erect a permanent building made partially of stone, and later expand it (1911). In 1910/1911 academic year the progymnasiumwas reorganized into the Izhevsk girls’ gymnasium. In spring 1913 the first graduation of the 8th grade female pupils took place, and in 1917 there was the last graduation. On October 9, 1919 technical courses for plant workers were opened in the building of the former Girls’ gymnasium. On March 5, 1922 the Pupils’ Club n.a. V. Korolenko was opened there. Nowadays the building hosts a section of production service “Tsentruchsnab”.

7

The first school building in Izhevsk, 1837. Architect N.K. Babushkin.

The initial building was founded in 1810 by the merchant Zherekhov from Yaroslavl city upon the project of S.E. Dudin. At the same time it was given to the state and hosted the plant school “for the children of gunsmiths”. In 1837 the plant architect N.K. Babushkin expanded the school, so that “officials’ children were taught separately in the other division”. At that time the building was one-storeyed, it had a wooden mezzanine and a portico with four columns.

Between 1867 and 1872 the house of the merchant Zherekhov temporarily housed the newly formed Nagornaya Volost Administration but then the building was passed into the possession of the two-year college again.

In 1877 the house was reconstructed and the building got the appearance that we know today. 

During the Soviet times a cultural and educational school was placed there, the building now houses the National center for decorative arts and crafts.

8

Olginskiy children’s shelter of diligence, 1898.

In 1895 the Emperor Nicolay I issued a decree on the establishment of a special charity for children of both sexes left without control and home, providing it with the name "Olginsky Shelter" in honor of the Duchess Olga Nikolaevna.

By 1910 there were 36 Olginsky shelters in Russia. One of them was Olginsky orphan asylum in Izhevsko-Nagornaya volost of Sarapul Uyezd, Vyatka Governorate, created on 11 April 1896. It was the first orphanage in Izhevsk.

The former Nikolsky Church orphanage building, which was later called the Olginsky shelter for workers' children, was built in 1898.

One of the directors in the Soviet times was Kuzebay Gerd, a conspicuous statesman and an outstanding public figure of the Republic. Now the building houses the Children's Creative Activity Center of Pervomaisky district.

9

The main building of the Izhevsk arms factory, 1811. Architect S.E. Dudin.

The main building of the Izhevsk arms factory, built in the style of high classicism, is a unique piece of industrial architecture of Russia of the early XIX century playing a leading role in urban planning of Izhevsk.

Construction of the main building of the factory began in 1811 on a commission from a mining engineer, Andrey Deryabin. Izhevsk Arms Factory became Russia's first high-rise industrial building.

Construction of the four-storey main building lasted until 1815, and then a three-storey east wing with the passage was built. Interior facilities and finishing were continued until 1820.

In March 1834 owing to a major fire the main building of Izhevsk arms factory was burned down. Fire destroyed the interior, the tower collapsed. Restoration work started in May 1836 under the leadership of a group of architects and engineers. A. Elfimov ran their work. In 1838 the chimes were re-mounted on the tower, made by Mr. Schtoltz and his assistant R.Glushkov. During further 10 years the factory building was being rebuilt according to new drawings approved by the Tsar Nicholay I. The final year of the completion of the Izhevsk arms factory is considered to be 1844.

Today the main building of the factory and its multitier round 50-meter high tower with chimes crowning the building are a symbol of the city of Izhevsk.

10

Building of School named for Svoboda, 1924-1926. Architect G.F. Senatov.

School named for Svoboda is one of the first two stone school buildings in Izhevsk that were constructed entirely on money of Izhevsk factory workers.

Formation of the Soviet architecture which inherited functional ideas and elements of a decor of modernist style of the beginning of the XX century was reflected in the project by architect G.F.Senatov.

In days of the Second World War the hospital was organized in the school building.

Since 1971 there was a special (correctional) educational institution for physically challenged pupils in the school named for Svoboda. Now there is "General education boarding school № 75".

11

Arms factory of A.N. Evdokimov, 1906.

In the early twentieth century the Arms factory of Adrian Nikandrovich Evdokimov was a thriving enterprise equipped with the latest technology; it occupied houses built in the Russian style on Bazarnaya street (nowadays Gorkogo street).

The factory produced hunting rifles, recasting Berdan and Krnka rifles, collected foreign arms and bought their parts. Production release of rifles reached up to 9300 units per year. Produced single-and double-barreled shotguns were famous due to their shooting accuracy, mechanical strength and especially to the best quality of a finish work.

In 1890 the Arms factory of A. Evdokimov was awarded with the silver medal at the Kazan Scientific and Industrial Exhibition.

A.N. Evdokimov tried to input technical innovations into weaponry. It was the place where the first power plant in Izhevsk was located which provided with electricity not only the enterprise itself, but also private houses, cinemas, as well as the engine of the flour mill.

On January 31, 1918 the factory was confiscated. On November 15, 1918 the work in the factory was resumed. In 1919 an agricultural equipment repair workshop was opened in the former Arms factory, and in 1922 the first State factory of hunting rifles was established on its base.

In Soviet times the first in Udmurtia bread-baking plant № 1 was opened in the factory buildings, a delicious smell of freshly baked bread is still spread around near this place.

12

Money storehouse, 1804.

The building of the museum of JSC "Izhmash" is one of the first stone buildings of the Izhevsk arms factory originally constructed for storing factory treasury in 1804.

Until the middle of the XIX century the building had an earthen roof, though it faced the square. In 1852 the architect I.T. Kokovikhin during reconstruction of money storehouse expanded it and rebuilt it as a guard house. In 1881 a public garden was laid in front of the building. In 1885 the premises were re-equipped as a bakery, a kitchen and a dining room of the local garrison brigade.

Before the Revolution of 1917 there was the Izhevsk forestry department here. In the 1960s the management of "Udmurtgaz" was located in the money storehouse. After that one could find expositions and collections of the museum of JSC "Izhmash" in the building.

Today the museum "Izhmash" represents a unique collection of weapons produced by the factory at different times, from the earliest to the latest ones. The museum's collection includes more than four thousand items, more than 350 samples of firearms; cold steel arms and other equipment manufactured by JSC "Izhmash" are exhibited there.

13

Ensemble of Merchant Houses on Gorkogo street, secondhalfofXIXcentury. Chigvincev’s shop.

The two-storey stone house № 70 on Gorky Street belonged to the manufacturer and gunsmith V.I. Petrov. A grocery store of the merchant S.Ya. Chigvintsev, who was a relative of Petrov, was located on the 1st floor.

On August 3, 1922 in the former merchant Chigvintsev’s shop on Kommunalnaya Street (70 Gorkogo Street) a bookstore named “Knowledge” was opened. It was created by a partnership organized in Izhevsk “to spread the printed word to the public and provide an opportunity for the purchase of books at an affordable price”. That was the beginning of the book trade in Izhevsk. The upper floor of the same building housed a City Central Library that was organized in 1920 on the basis of a reading room of Nagornaya volost, which later evolved to the regional one. Its book collection formed the basis of the current fund of the National Library of the Udmurt Republic.

Later on the building hosted commercial enterprises and organizations.

14

Rifle depot of Petrov.

The author is unknown.

The building was built by the order of manufacturer Petrov and was used for storage of finished products for his arms factory located nearby.

After the Revolution in 1917 the building housed the headquarters and the arsenal of the Komsomol battalion of a special purpose.

Later there was a teachers' training school over there, which was then transformed into the Teachers College and further into the Pedagogical Institute in 1931.

The building is included into the complex of merchant shop located on Gorkogo Street.

15

Shop, 2nd half of XIX century.

The author and the owner are unknown.

The first floor was used as a department store and a storage room, and the second floor was used for living.

The building is included into the complex of merchant shop located on Gorkogo Street.

Nowadays the first floor of the building hosts shops, and the second one further education courses for cultural workers.

16

Shop, 2nd half of XIX century.

The author and the owner are unknown.

Rectangular building has a clear division into the main shopping areas, along Gorkogo Street, and subsidiary ones following the main areas.

Plane composition of the facade of the building is divided into three parts with decorative blades that are terminated on the roof columns. The decoration in the form of ornamental bands emphasizes the length of the facade. Currently, the building houses a bookshop.

17

Ogloblin’s shop, 2nd half of XIX century.

The author is unknown.

It is assumed that the shop belonged to a merchant Ogloblin. Throughout history, the building was used as a shop and storage room.

Currently, the building houses a cafe.

18

Ogloblin’s shop, 2nd half of XIX century.

The building is a typical example of provincial architecture of the second half of the XIX century. Presumably, the building belonged to a merchant Ogloblin.

In the organization of the main facade methods and forms of the classical sense are used: its composition is tripartite, the central axis is marked outwith a balcony with a bow-shaped pediment gable, ground floor is rusticated, windows are recessed in niches, the windows of the second floor have pediments.

19

Commercial establishment of Ogloblin, 2nd half ofXIXcentury.

The author and the owner are unknown.

In 1918 Krasnoarmeysky communist club was opened here. The original layout and the interiors have not been preserved. Existing plan is a corridor with rooms on one side along the main facade and with rooms on either side of the corridor in the wings.


The status of the capital of theUdmurtRepublic ensures that there is a significant number of cultural institutions, parks and recreational facilities in the city ofIzhevsk which include:

State Theater of Opera and Ballet of theUdmurtRepublic www.operaizh.ru
State Russian Drama Theatre https://dramteatr18.ru/
State National Theater of theUdmurtRepublic
www.udmteatr.ru
State Puppet Theater of theUdmurtRepublic www.teatrkukoludm.ru
Concert association “Udmurt State Philarmonia” www.udmfil.ru
State Circus of Udmurtia www.udmcircus.ru
NationalMuseum of theUdmurtRepublic named after Kuzebay Gerd http://nmur.ru
UdmurtRepublicMuseum of Fine Arts
http://www.urmii.ru
TheKalashnikovMuseum and Exhibition Complex of Small Arms
www.museum-mtk.ru
State Zoo of Udmurtia www.udm-zoo.ru
ExhibitionCenter “Galereya” www.centrgalereya.ru
SummerGarden named after M.Gorky http://www.izh-ls.ru
Park named after S.Kirov http://parkkirova.ru
Cosmonauts Park of the Russian cultural center “Russian House” http://cosmo.udmpark.ru
Table 12Amount of paid services rendered to the citizens by large- and medium-sized businesses ofIzhevsk

Amount of rendered services (thousand roubles)
Type of service 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
Tourism services 6645,7 7693,6 4054,3 11 558,3 10 873,1
Services of hotels and similar places of accommodation 163 380,8 206 511,8 199 936,8 255 128 220 716
Services of cultural institutions 264 582,3 309 747,3 350 130,8 499 586,4 573 453,4
Sanatorium and health-improving services 278 757,8 336 946,1 338 931,6 320 157,1 332 679,8
State Theater of Opera and Ballet of the Udmurt Republic
State Drama Theater of Udmurtia
State National Theater of the Udmurt Republic
State Puppet Theater of the Udmurt Republic
Concert association “Udmurt State Philarmonia”
State Circus of Udmurtia
National Museum of the Udmurt Republic named after Kuzebay Gerd
Udmurt Republic Museum of Fine Arts
The Kalashnikov Museum and Exhibition Complex of Small Arms
State Zoo of Udmurtia
Exhibition Center “Galereya”
Park named after S.Kirov
Summer Garden named after M.Gorky
Cosmonauts Park of the Russian cultural center “Russian House”
03.10.2017
Department for information and analytics of the Izhevsk City Administration © 1998-2017

Any usage of web page materials should be accompanied by a reference (in the Internet – hyperlink), author enter