Izhevsk city emblem

The city of Izhevsk is a capital of Udmurt Republic.

The history of Izhevsk is closely tied to industry. The history of Izhevsk is closely tied to the industrial production. The city was founded on 10th April 1760, when workers began construction of count Shuvalov ironworks and the dam on the Izh river. First ball iron was produced in 1763. Tula arms plant, Petersburg, Briansk and Warsaw arsenals and Black Sea Admiralty became its monopolistic consumers.

On 10th June 1807 Izhevsk experienced the “New birth”, when exceptional mountain engineer and talented organizer A.F. Deryabin founded a new arms plant, only third in whole Russia after the Tula and Sestoretsk plants. By 1863 more than 22 thousand people inhabited Izhevsk.

Izhevsk city map

With the development of the industry between XIX and XX centuries Izhevsk became one of the centers of the industry of Ural region. The city’s population was two times bigger than the main city of province – Vyatka and ten times bigger than Glazov. In the beginning of 1914 the government of the Izhevsko-Nagornaya volost and the workers of Izhevsk plant approached to the province government asking to officially state Izhevsk as a city, but the attempt wasn’t successful. On 21st February 1918 Soviet of Workers’, Soldiers’ and Peasants’ Deputies decreed that Izhevsk’s plant habitation to be reformed as the city of Izhevsk without prior arrangement. The official status of the city was bestowed upon Izhevsk only on 6th July 1925 by the decree of All-Russian Central Executive Committee. Izhevsk became the center of Votskaya Avtonomnaya oblast, later renamed as Udmurtskaya avtonomnaya oblast, Udmurt SSR, Udmurt Republic on 25th June 1921.

Izhevsk photo

During Soviet times the number of plants in the city increased. Izhevsk plant was divided into Izhevsk Mechanical Plant and Izhevsk Steel Plant in 1939, Moto Plant was founded in 1933, mechanical plant in 1942, Electromechanical plant in 1957, Reductor Plant in 1946, Oil machine building plant in 1956, Ball bearing plant in 1957, Radio plant in 1958, Paper making machinery plant in 1960 Automobile plant in 1966 and Plastics plant in 1972. The plants became a backbone of Izhevsk industry. Despite their peaceful names most of the plants produced military grade goods. For example, Machine building and Mechanical plants produced projectile weapons, Electromechanical plant produced surface-to-air systems, Moto plant produced military great instruments and systems and so on. Large amount of industry in the city stimulated rapid growth and developed infrastructure because the plants’ responsibilities except for production also included social sphere of the city’s life such as housing, medicine, culture and sport.

During Great Patriotic Was Izhevsk was among the few cities producing projectile weapons. Izhevsk Machine building plant worked tirelessly to arm rifles and aviation divisions. From the first day of war every ounce of high grade steel from Izhevsk metallurgic plant were used for the production of tanks, planes, cannons, rifles and other weapons.

Izhevsk view

The name of the city is rightly associated with the name of Mikhail Kalashnikov. “Ak-47” mass production started in 1948 and since that time its modifications became the most widespread projectile weapon in the world. First Izhevsk automobile was made on 12th December 1966. It started the development of automobile building and four years later it grew into the conveyor-type. In 1978 Izhevsk was awarded with the October Revolution medal.

Today Izhevsk is a modern city with developed engineering infrastructure, public transport system, developed communal and housing services, socially important objects contributing to the city’s well-being. 

26.10.2015
Department for information and analytics of the Izhevsk City Administration © 1998-2017

Any usage of web page materials should be accompanied by a reference (in the Internet – hyperlink), author enter