St. Michael's Cathedral

St. Michael's Cathedral

The foundation of Michael-Archangelic Church was laid in 1897 in place of a stone chapel which was consecrated in 1855 in honor of Saint Archistratigus Michael in the memory of Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolayevich being nominated as the General Feldzeugmeister of Izhevsk factories.

The church was being erected between 1897 and 1907 by public subscription of craftsmen, workers and employees of Izhevsk factories upon the project of I.A.Charushin, a Vyatka gubernial architect.

In 1896 the Building committee decided that the new cathedral shall not exceed the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. In 1897 the laying of the foundation stone of a church took place; the main building construction works had been completed by 1907. However, in view of a revolutionary turmoil, further improvement of the cathedral was suspended.

The best Moscow iconographers dealt with the painting of the cathedral. All the images of the cathedral were painted in the studio of the court artist and icon-painter V.P.Guryanov.

The first cathedral used to have 3 chapels: the main altar was dedicated to Saint Archistratigus Michael, the south one was in honor of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and the north one was in honor of the Holy Martyr Alexandra. The main altar was consecrated on November 4, 1907.

Unfortunately, the cathedral had not belonged to believers for a long time. On March 19, 1929 Izhevsk City Council of Workers and Red Army Deputies resolved: "To terminate rental contracts with religious communities of Michael and Alexander Nevsky Cathedrals as well as those of Pokrovskaya Church". The Michael Cathedral was supposed to be adapted for use as a museum or a college.

On March 27, 1929 the cathedral was closed and sealed by representatives of Izhevsk city police. For several years the church building hosted the Regional museum of local lore, and in 1937 the Council of People's Commissars of UASSR (Udmurt Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic) decided to demolish the building of the Michael Cathedral "for making a construction site vacant for a future city theater". Soon the church was destroyed.

In 2000 reconstruction works on restoring St. Michael's Cathedral began by the decision of the Presidium of the State Council of the Udmurt Republic and the Government of the Republic. In May 2004 the laying of the consecrated cross to the foundation of the future Cathedral took place.

On May 16, 2007 the metropolitan of Izhevsk and Udmurtia Nicolay consecrated a lower church in honor of Faith, Hope and Charity and their mother Sophia. On 5 August 2007 the main altar dedicated to Saint Archistratigus Michael was consecrated by Patriarch of all Russia Alexiy II who performed the first liturgy in the Cathedral.

In May 2012 the icon painting studio led by Alexander Gusakovsky ("Vozrozhdenie", LLC) finished painting of the St. Michael's Cathedral; over 4 500 square meters of the interior face of the Cathedral were decorated with frescoes. Each composition, each image of a saint was drawn beforehand by the main artist of the studio Ivan Lebedev and was blessed to be painted on walls by Metropolitan of Izhevsk and Udmurtia Nicolay. Maria Lebedeva worked on the creation of unique ornaments.

Location:

222 K.Marx Street


03.10.2017
Department for information and analytics of the Izhevsk City Administration © 1998-2017

Any usage of web page materials should be accompanied by a reference (in the Internet – hyperlink), author enter